Movie Popcorn Cupcakes
It's a luscious twist on a night at the movies. They've got the look and flavor of buttered popcorn with a sweet cupcake kick!
- ● 24 mini vanilla cupcakes, unfrosted
- ● 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- ● 1 tablespoon egg white powder
- ● 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- ● 3 cups Buttered Popcorn Jelly Belly jelly beans
- ● 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- ● Yellow food coloring
- Combine the powdered sugar and egg white powder in a medium bowl. Add 1 tablespoon water and mix well. Add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until mixture is thick. Spoon mixture into a re-sealable bag; set aside.
- Line 2 sheet pans with wax paper. Reserve 3/4 cup of the Jelly Belly beans in a small bowl. Use a sharp pair of scissors and cut the remaining Jelly Belly beans in half lengthwise. Arrange 3 half pieces of Jelly Belly beans on the wax paper lined sheet pans into a star burst having the 3 short ends come together. Continue with these arrangements, close together, over both of the prepared sheet pans.
- Snip a very small corner, (1/8 inch), from the bag with the confectioners' sugar frosting and pipe a small dot of frosting in the center of the jelly bean arrangement. Place a whole jelly bean in the center, short end down, to look like a piece of popped corn. Continue with the remaining frosting and whole jelly beans. Let candies dry at least 1 hour.
- Tint the vanilla frosting with the yellow food coloring to make a pale yellow color. Spread frosting on top of the cupcakes. Gently remove the dry popcorn jelly bean arrangements from the wax paper and place 4 to 5 pieces on top of each cupcake.
- Place the cupcakes in a popcorn box to look like they are spilling out of the box.
MAKES 24 CUPCAKES
For more great cupcake recipes by Karen Tack and Allan Richardson, check out Hello, Cupcake!, available here.